OWNER & ACCESS
Light List Data:
The Frying Pan Light was built on a small island to warn of the Frying Pan Shoal on the St. Mary’s River. It served as a front range light with the light on Pipe Island.
To keep the cost of the light station down, the tower did not have a brick lining, any type of work or storage space or a dwelling for the keeper.
1882: The light was lit in September.
1884: A storage building was added to the station. It was outfitted with a bunk, shelves and cleaning table to accommodate a keeper.
1894: Originally brown the tower was painted white for easier visibility.
1902: The Lighthouse Board requested funds for a more substantial keeper’s quarters since a keeper was living in the storage building. There is no record if the dwelling was ever built.
1988: A pole light replace the tower. The tower was moved to the Sault Ste. Marie Coast Guard station where it was restored and displayed. It remains there today.