Point Peninsula MI TAT 2013.jpg (4.98 MB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
Peninsula Point/Lake Michigan
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Demolished by Usfs
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
Original Optic Type:
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1856: Congress appropriated $5,000 for the station. However, due to problems with obtaining a title to the land, the money was recalled and it would take ten years before a station was finally built on the site.
- 1865: A one and a half story dwelling was built from “cream city brick” with a 40 foot tower built into the southern gable. A fourth order Fresnel lens was installed.
- 1922: The light was automated.
- 1930: The shipping lane moved further south by the 1930’s.
- 1934: A new light was built on the Minneapolis Shoal
- 1936: The Peninsula Point Lighthouse was no longer needed and deactivated.
- 1937: The US Forest Service took ownership of the light station.
- The Stonington Grange restored the house and added picnic grounds. They won an award for the work they did.
- 1959: Unfortunately, the keeper’s dwelling suffered a fire and was demolished.
- 1962: The tower was repaired. It is no longer an active aid to navigation and is open to the public. The site is part of the Hiawatha National Forest and is an optimum site to witness the migration of the Monarch butterflies.
Jan 15, 2018