PLUM ISLAND RANGE

Year Established:
1897
Existing:
Yes
File Type:
jpg (image/jpeg)
Photo Date:
1994
Photo Credit:
Thomas Tag
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:

LOCATION

Location:
LAKE MICHIGAN
Latitude:
45° 18'
Longitude:
86° 57'
City / Town:
GILLS ROCK
U.S. State:
Wisconsin
Location County:
DOOR
Country:
United States

OWNER & ACCESS

Open to Public:
No
Light List Data:
  1. PLUM ISLAND RANGE
  2. PLUM ISLAND RANGE
Light list data courtesy Gary Riemenschneider

STRUCTURE

Year Tower Established:
1897
Tower Construction Material:
IRON
Tower Foundation:
CONCRETE
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
80
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
65
Tower Shape:
SKELETAL
Fog Signal Building?:
Yes
Keeper's Quarters?:
Yes
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
BRICK
Other Structures:
OIL HOUSE, RADIOBEACON, BOATHOUSE, GENERATOR BLDG, DOCK

OPTICS

Active Aid to Navigation?:
Yes
Current Optic:
FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
Original Optic Type:
FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
Private Aid:
No
Year Automated:
1969
USCG Access to Optics:
Yes

Comments:

HISTORICAL INFORMATION:

  • This was the first light built to mark the dangerous Porte Des Morts Passage.
  • 1848: It was first proposed, but mariners felt a light would be more useful on Pilot Island so a light was built there.
  • 1890: It was again proposed to build a light on Plum Island but approval did not come until 1893
  • 1896: Actual construction was begun.
  • 1897: It was completed.
  • 1939: The light station merged with the life saving station that had also been built on the island.
  • 1964: The front range light was removed and replaced with a skeletal tower.
  • 1969: The range lights were automated.
  • 1975: The fog signal was discontinued.
  • 1984: The rear range light was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Entered by:
t.wheeler
Entered Date:
Jul 21, 2017