Tarrytown NY 2013 Tobi Graham.jpg (6.85 MB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society
Collection / Donor:
HUDSON RIVER SOUTH OF KINGSLAND
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
STONE PIER/CAST IRON CAISSON
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
INTEGRAL TO TOWER
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
Original Optic Type:
FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1883: Light was first lit.
- 1957: Light was automated.
- 1958: Building of the Tappan Zee Bridge made the lighthouse obsolete.
- 1961: The light was decommissioned.
- 1974: Westchester County acquired the lighthouse.
- 1979: Light was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- 1970's: A footbridge connecting the shore to the tower was built. Over time, landfills had filled in the shoreline within feet of the tower.
- 2002: Occasional tours of the lighthouse are available from the Westchester County Department of Parks
Jul 21, 2017