LITTLE TRAVERSE (HARBOR SPRINGS)

Alternate Name(s):
HARBOR SPRINGS
Year Established:
1884
Existing:
Yes
Source:
LL-1901
File Type:
jpg (image/jpeg)
Photo Date:
2003
Photo Credit:
Mike and Carol McKinney
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:

LOCATION

Location:
NORTH SIDE LITTLE TRAVERSE BAY/LAKE MICHIGAN
Latitude:
45° 25'07"
Longitude:
84° 58'42"
City / Town:
HARBOR SPRINGS
U.S. State:
Michigan
Location County:
EMMET
Country:
United States

OWNER & ACCESS

Open to Public:
No
Light List Data:
  1. LITTLE TRAVERSE (HARBOR SPRINGS)
Light list data courtesy Gary Riemenschneider

STRUCTURE

Year Discontinued:
1963
Year Tower Established:
1884
Tower Construction Material:
RED BRICK
Tower Foundation:
CUT STONE
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
41 FT ABOVE WATER
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
34 FT
Tower Shape:
SQUARE
Fog Signal Building?:
Yes
Year Fog Signal Building Constructed:
1896
Fog Signal Bldg Construction Materials:
WOOD
Keeper's Quarters?:
Yes
Year Keeper's Quarters:
1884
Keeper's Quarters Style:
ATTACHED
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
RED BRICK
Other Structures:
BRICK PAINT LOCKER, SUMMER KITCHEN ATTACHED TO LIGHTHOUSE BY COVERED PORTICO, WOODEN BOAT STORAGE BUILDING, MODERN AUTO GARAGE

OPTICS

Active Aid to Navigation?:
No
Current Optic:
FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Original Optic Type:
FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
1884
Private Aid:
No
USCG Access to Optics:
No

Comments:

Historical Information:

  • 1871: Funds were requested for the building of a lighthouse on Harbor Point on Little Traverse Bay. However, Congress did not approve the request simply because they had no funds to offer. Another point of contention was most of the land in Harbor Point belonged to the native people.
  • 1875: A treaty originally signed in 1855 was “modified” to allow settlers to move into the area of Harbor Point. The need for the lighthouse was once again put before Congress. This time the funds were secured.
  • 1884: Construction began on the site. A one and a half story dwelling with a 10 foot square 40 foot tall tower attached was completed in September. A Fourth Order Fresnel lens was installed.
  • Elizabeth Whitney Williams, one of the first female keepers on the Great Lakes, had accepted a transfer from St. James Harbor Lighthouse, and lit the beacon on September 25, 1884 which could be seen 13 miles away.
  • 1896: A square pyramidal bell tower was added to the station and stands in front of the tower. Other structures built at the site include a brick paint locker, a summer kitchen which is attached to the lighthouse by a covered portico, a wooden boat storage shed and a modern automobile garage.
  • 1963: A new 41 foot skeletal tower was built and the brick lighthouse was decommissioned. The property was sold to the Harbor Point Association which is the community where the property is located. This is a gated community with no public access to the lighthouse. It can be seen from the water.
  • The new skeletal tower is still an active aid to navigation.

Entered by:
t.wheeler
Entered Date:
Jul 20, 2017