Absecon NJ 2002 by JCC.jpg (2.81 MB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society
Collection / Donor:
ATLANTIC CITY (ORIGINALLY ABSECON BEACH)
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Owner / Manager:
Inlet Public/Private Association (IPPA) - Manager
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
167 feet above water
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
CONICAL ATTACHED TO KEEPERS
Black and White Bands
Fog Signal Building?:
OIL HOUSE; REPLICA KEEPERS (1998)
FIRST ORDER, FRESNEL
Original Optic Type:
FIRST ORDER, FRESNEL/OIL LAMP
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1846: A resolution by the New Jersey legislature called for building of a lighthouse. The Federal Government ignored the resolution.
- 1855: Lt. George Meade was the tower’s architect. The lighthouse was completed in late 1856 under direction of another engineer Captain W.F. Fraynolds. Daniel Scull was the first lighthouse keeper to use the 228 cast iron steps to the top of Absecon Light.
- 1870s: A battle with the sea began soon after the lighthouse was activated. By the 1870s erosion had reached the station.
- 1876-1878: Protective jetties were built. Eventually there were seven built at 150’ intervals. There was some improvement and eventually deep-water jetties were built. These really did the trick of stabilizing the sand and the low water line returned to the 1854 level.
- 1933: Eventually the lights of the fast growing Atlantic City made the Absecon light useless and it was deactivated in 1933.
Jul 21, 2017