ADMIRALTY HEAD

Year Established:
1860
Existing:
Yes
Source:
LL-1907
File Type:
jpg (image/jpeg)
Photo Date:
2017
Photo Credit:
Ralph Eshelman
Photo Courtesy of:
U.S. Lighthouse Society
Collection / Donor:

LOCATION

Location:
STRAITS OF JUAN DE FUCA/PUGET SOUND
Latitude:
48° 09'40"
Longitude:
122° 40'46"
City / Town:
COUPEVILLE
U.S. State:
Washington
Location County:
ISLAND
Country:
United States

OWNER & ACCESS

Owner / Manager:
Fort Casey State Park
Open to Public:
Yes
Light List Data:
  1. ADMIRALTY HEAD
Light list data courtesy Gary Riemenschneider

STRUCTURE

Year Discontinued:
1922
Year Tower Established:
1903
Tower Construction Material:
BRICK AND STUCCO
Tower Foundation:
SURFACE
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
127
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
32
Tower Shape:
CONICAL
Fog Signal Building?:
No
Keeper's Quarters?:
Yes
Year Keeper's Quarters:
1902
Keeper's Quarters Style:
CALIFORNIA SPANISH
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
BRICK AND STUCCO
Other Structures:
BRICK AND STUCCO OIL HOUSE

OPTICS

Active Aid to Navigation?:
No
Current Optic:
REMOVED
Original Optic Type:
FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
1860
Private Aid:
No
USCG Access to Optics:
No

Comments:

Historical Information:

  • The original lighthouse as completed during the months just prior to the Civil War and was among the West's earliest navigational aids. It had a fourth order Fresnel lens, and the light could be seen sixteen miles away. This light welcomed Puget Sound marine traffic to Admiralty Inlet. 
  • During the Spanish-American War, the US Army demolished the old lighthouse to build a fort (Fort Casey).
  • The present lighthouse went into service in 1903 but was discontinued in 1927. It has been restored and now serves as a museum. 

Entered by:
t.wheeler
Entered Date:
Jul 21, 2017