Amelia Island North Range Rear

Year Established:
1872
Existing:
No
Source:
LL-1879
File Type:
jpg (image/jpeg)
Photo Credit:
US Lighthouse Establishment
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Artchives
Collection / Donor:

LOCATION

Location:
St. Marys River Mouth
Latitude:
30° 42.15'
Longitude:
81° 26.45'
U.S. State:
Florida
Country:
United States

OWNER & ACCESS

Open to Public:
No

STRUCTURE

Year Discontinued:
1899
Year Tower Established:
1872
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
53
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
40
Tower Shape:
SQUARE ON SQUARE DWELLING
Tower Daymark:
White
Fog Signal Building?:
No
Keeper's Quarters?:
No
Year Keeper's Quarters:
1872

OPTICS

Active Aid to Navigation?:
No
Original Optic Type:
6th order Fresnel
Year Original Lens Installed:
1872
Private Aid:
No
USCG Access to Optics:
No

Comments:

According to Lighthouse Friends: The range's rear light was displayed from a short square tower mounted atop the pitched roof of a 2 1/2 story keepers dwelling, while the front light was displayed from a square window in the enclosed portion of a square, frame tower. The range lights were activated on June 1, 1872 and served in their original configuration until March 1880, when an iron tower that had held the beacon that ranged with Amelia Island Lighthouse was mounted atop a wooden base and used to replace the rear light of the North Range.


Entered by:
t.wheeler
Entered Date:
Jan 15, 2018