Annisquam, Squam, Wigwam Point
Annisquam Harbor MA JD.jpg (6.41 MB)
Collection / Donor:
WIGWAM POINT/IPSWICH BAY
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Owner / Manager:
U.S. Coast Guard
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
CYLINDRICAL ATTACHED TO GARAGE
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
OIL HOUSE, GARAGE, WALKWAY (REPLACED IN 1978)
Original Optic Type:
FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1801: Annisquam is the oldest of five light stations that aid navigation around Cape Ann. The keeper’s house (1801) is considered the oldest keeper's house on the U.S., although it has been altered. Rudyard Kipling lived in Annisquam Village while writing "Captain’s Courageous" – a great literary tribute to Gloucester fishermen.
- 1801: 32-foot wooden tower built.
- 1851: 40-foot octagonal wooden lighthouse tower replaced the original one.
- 1897: Extant brick tower built.
- 1974: The 4th order Fresnel lens and foghorn were automated.
Source: Jeremy D'Entremont, "The Lighthouses of Massachusetts"
Jul 20, 2017