Ashland Breakwater WI 1999.jpg (6.97 MB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
CHEQUAMEGON BAY/LAKE SUPERIOR
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Owner / Manager:
National Park Service - Apostle Islands NL
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
CONCRETE PIER ON CRIB
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
CYL. WATCHROOM ON HEX. PYR. TOWER
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
250 MM, SOLAR POWERED
Original Optic Type:
FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1889 thru 1912 the army corps of engineers built two large parallel breakwaters in Chequamegon Bay in order to protect the harbor at Ashland where exports of iron ore had begun. This was the only protection against the violent storms that could frequent the area. The breakwaters served their purpose but they also made it difficult for ships to find the entrance to the harbor. As a temporary measure a 10 foot pole was erected on the west end of the breakwater and a fixed red lantern was hung from it.
- 1913 Once the breakwater was completed, congress appropriated money for a pier light.
- 1915 A concrete and steel tower was built and a fourth order Fresnel was installed and lit.
- 1916 A keeper’s house was built on shore and the keeper moved out of the light.
- 1980 The light was listed on Wisconsin’s Register of Historic Sites and the Coast Guard removed the Fresnel lens and replaced it with a solar-powered acrylic optic.
- 2015 This light was transferred to the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
Jul 21, 2017