Assateague VA 2014 by JCC copy.jpg (2.11 MB)
Photo Courtesy of:
U.S. Lighthouse Society
Collection / Donor:
SOUTH END ASSATEAQUE ISLAND
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
Original Optic Type:
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1833 The original light was built it was only 45 feet tall and was not sufficient for coastal needs.
- 1859 Congress appropriated funds to build a higher, more effective tower.
- 1860 Work began but was suspended during the Civil War. The current structure was completed and lit in 1867. The keeper’s quarters were built in 1867. There were three large sections to house three families with each section including a pantry, kitchen, dining room, living room, three bedrooms, bathroom, and large closet.
- 1891 an oil house was added.
- 1910 a two story concrete keeper’s dwelling was built.
- 1933 the lens was powered by electricity from a generator and the characteristic changed from fixed white to flashing.
- 1963 when electric power lines finally reached the Island a Directional Coded Beacon was installed.
- 1969 the red brick tower was painted in horizontal red and white stripes.
- 1970 the DCB was replaced by a light that consisted of two large drums each with a 1000 watt bulb. The characteristic became a double flash every five seconds.
- 2004, the property was transferred to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000; the Chincoteague Natural History Association helps maintain the lighthouse and provide tours.
- First order lens is currently on display in the Oyster and Maritime Museum in Chincoteague.
Jul 21, 2017