Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Owner / Manager:
The Ridges Sanctuary
Open to Public:
Fog Signal Building?:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1868: Congress appropriated funds to build range lights to help ships enter Baileys Harbor.
- 1870: The lights were first lit.
- 1923: The fuel was switched to acetylene gas. Previously kerosene had been used and prior to that lard or whale oil.
- 1930: The light was electrified and automated.
- 1934: The land and buildings were transferred to the Door County Parks Commission.
- 1969: One of the lights was discontinued and a single light was used. The Fresnel lens was removed.
- 1980’s: The Door County Historical Society raised money to restore the range lights and restore a boardwalk that ran between the two lights.
- 1995: Mariners complained about the inadequacy of the single light and the range lights were re-lit in 1995.
- 1998: The ownership of the range lights was transferred to the Door County Parks Commission.
Feb 06, 2018