Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
DOOR PENINSULA/LAKE MICHIGAN
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Owner / Manager:
THE RIDGES SANCTUARY
Open to Public:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
WHITE W/BLACK TRIM
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
GABLE (HOLDS REAR LIGHT)
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
BRICK OIL HOUSE (CIRCA 1900), STORAGE BUILDING, CLAPBOARD PRIVY (CIRCA 1920)
Original Optic Type:
FIFTH ORDER (FRONT RANGE)
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1868: Congress appropriated funds to build range lights to help ships enter Baileys Harbor.
- 1870: The lights were first lit.
- 1923: The fuel was switched to acetylene gas. Previously kerosene had been used and prior to that lard or whale oil.
- 1930: The light was electrified and automated.
- 1934: The land and buildings were transferred to the Door County Parks Commission.
- 1969: One of the lights was discontinued and a single light was used. The Fresnel lens was removed.
- 1980’s: The Door County Historical Society raised money to restore the range lights and restore a boardwalk that ran between the two lights.
- 1995: Mariners complained about the inadequacy of the single light and the range lights were re-lit in 1995.
- 1998: The ownership of the range lights was transferred to the Door County Parks Commission.
Jul 21, 2017