Beaver Head MI 2007.jpeg (212.66 KB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
MACKINAC STRAITS APPROACH/LAKE MICHIGAN
City / Town:
SOUTH OF ST. JAMES
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
103 FT ABOVE WATER
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Fog Signal Building Constructed:
Fog Signal Bldg Construction Materials:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
FRAME ADDITION ADDED TO KEEPERS TO ACCOMODATE ASST. KEEPERS, OIL HOUSE, GARAGE, STORAGE BUILDING, RADIO BEACON (1962)
Original Optic Type:
FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- Historical Information:
- 1850: $5,000 was approved for the construction of the light.
- 1850: A 158-acre tract of Federal land was set aside for the lighthouse which was completed in 1851.
- 1858: The lens was upgraded to a revolving fourth order Fresnel with a flash every 90 seconds. Range was 16 miles.
- 1866: The current Keeper’s quarters were constructed.
- 1888: It was determined that increase in traffic would benefit from a fog signal being placed on the island. An additional 10 acres was acquired and $5,500.00
- 1890: The siren used at Skillagallee light station was transferred to Beaver Head Light.
- 1915: The fog building was replaced due to extensive deterioration of the original building.
- 1917: The illuminating apparatus was upgraded to an incandescent oil vapor system. The characteristic changed to a fixed white light with single flash every 20 seconds.
- 1933: The fog signal was upgraded to an air “Tyfon” powered by diesel engine.
- 1938: The illuminating apparatus was again changed – this time to an electric arc lamp.
- 1939: The fog signal was replaced by an air diaphragm horn emitting two blasts every 30 seconds.
- 1962: The light was decommissioned. The lens was removed and is on display in the keeper’s dwelling.
- 1975: Ownership of the light and surrounding 64 acres of land were turned over to the Charlevoix Public School System who used the restoration of the light as an educational program.
Jul 20, 2017