Beavertail RI 2011 by JCC .jpeg (270.52 KB)
Photo Courtesy of:
U.S. Lighthouse Society
Collection / Donor:
CONANICUT ISLAND/NARAGANSETT BAY ENTRANCE
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
64 feet above water
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
ASSISTANT KEEPERS (1898), OIL HOUSE, GARAGE, STORAGE BUILDING, RADIOBEACON
Original Optic Type:
THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1749: This was the third lighthouse to be built in the United States.
- 1779: Conanicut Island had already gained fame from its association with the privateer, Captain William Kidd, during the late 1600s when Captain Kidd used the island as a hideout. During the Revolutionary War, the British burned the lighthouse when they left the area in 1779; the rubblestone tower survived the burning, but it was not fully repaired and back in operation until 1790. During the mid-1800s, the station had a true one-horse power fog signal; whenever the fog set in, the keeper walked his horse on a treadmill which operated a pump to provide pressure to the horn.
- 1856: It is the third lighthouse on the site. The original optic in the 1856 square granite tower was a third-order Fresnel lens; it was replaced with a fourth-order Fresnel lens in 1899. The fourth-order lens was retired in 1991. It is currently equipped with a modern plastic lens (DCB 24).
- 1938: The station was heavily damaged during the hurricane of 1938, but the tower survived.
- The station was used for numerous fog signal experiments; signals tested included bells, horns, whistles, and trumpets, which were mounted on the foundation of the 18th century tower.
Jul 21, 2017