OWNER & ACCESS
Light List Data:
Bois Blanc Island Light was the second light station established on Lake Huron. The first lighthouse at the station was a 65 foot masonry tower and keeper’s quarters. Built dangerously close to the surf, the tower fell into the lake in 1837.
1839: A second lighthouse was built on the island in 1839 on higher ground. It was a 30 foot stone tower.
1857: A fourth order Fresnel lens was installed.
1867: The third and current lighthouse was built, after the second lighthouse was considered to be in a “severely dilapidated” condition. It is a two story dwelling with an attached tower in the front. The tower is 38 feet tall. The fourth order lens from the second light was installed in this tower.
1924: The Bois Blanc Island Lighthouse was deactivated and was replaced by a new automated acetylene light on a steel tower.
1955: The light was decommissioned and sold to a private owner in 1956. The 1867 lighthouse is a private residence but the steel tower is an active aid to navigation.