Buffalo Harbor Entrance South Side
Mike and Carol McKinney
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
TIMBER CRIB / CONCRETE PIER
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Fog Signal Building Constructed:
Fog Signal Bldg Construction Materials:
CONCRETE & IRON
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
ENCLOSED PASSAGE BETWEEN TOWER AND FOG SIGNAL STATION
Original Optic Type:
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
In the latter part of the Ninetieth Century ship traffic to Buffalo necessitated expansion of the Buffalo harbor and a new breakwater was constructed south of the main harbor.
- 1903: Funds were appropriated for construction of light stations to mark the new breakwater. The southern light was near the Lackawanna Steel plant.
- 1904: A fog signal with compressed air was completed.
- 1988: The original Fourth Order Fresnel lens was removed and installed in Buffalo’s Old Main Lighthouse and relit.
- 1993: The lighthouse was discontinued.
- 2007: Placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- 2008: The lighthouse was offered to qualified groups through the Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act. Application of Buffalo Lighthouse Association was approved.
Jul 21, 2017