Cana Island WI 1999 Joyce Dixon.jpg (7.31 MB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
LAKE MICHIGAN/BAILEYS HARBOR/NORTH BAY
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
YELLOW BRICK/1902 STEEL SHELL
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
OIL HOUSE, STORAGE BUILDING, PRIVY
Original Optic Type:
THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1869: The tower was built.
- 1902: The brick tower was encased in a steel shell with the space between the steel and the brick filled with concrete. This was done to prevent deterioration of the structure.
- 1941: The light was automated with power supplied by a generator.
- 1960: Power lines were run to the island.
- 1976: The light was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
- The Island and buildings are currently being leased from the Bureau of Land Management by the Door County Maritime Museum.
Jul 21, 2017