Photo Courtesy of:
U.S. Lighthouse Society
Collection / Donor:
DELAWARE BAY ENTRANCE
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
STORAGE BUILDING, BRICK OIL HOUSE (1893)
Original Optic Type:
FIRST ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
Existing tower is the third tower to be located on Cape May Point.
- Built in 1823, was 70 feet tall and made of brick and located on a stone foundation.
- Located west of the present tower at a site presently underwater.
- Lighthouse was arched at top with a revolving light consisting of 15 lamps. The light flashed to distinguish it from the light at Cape Henlopen, across the bay in Delaware.
- The first tower was discontinued in 1847.
- Built in 1847 and located south of the present lighthouse.
- Lighthouse was 78 feet to the base of the light and 94 feet high to the dome.
- The light was produced by 15 concave reflectors mounted on a triangle making a full light every minute.
- Poor construction and maintenance of the second lighthouse lead to the construction of the third lighthouse.
- The second lighthouse remained standing until 1862 when the top was dismantled. The remaining ten feet of the second lighthouse was capped and used for storage, for an icehouse, and later for a stable. The sea has since claimed the remains of the second tower.
- Keeper’s quarters constructed in 1847.
- First Order Fresnel lens was supplied by Henry Lepaute.
- Constructed in 1859 after additional land was acquired in 1858.
- Tower has a base diameter of 27 feet.
- Light originally constructed with kerosene wick lamps.
- In 1860 two keeper’s dwellings were completed. These dwellings were one and a half story structures with three rooms on the first floor and four rooms on the second floor.
- In 1878 a Funck style lamp was installed.
- In 1903 a new keeper’s quarters was constructed.
- In 1910 an incandescent oil vapor lamp was installed.
- In 1938 electricity was supplied for the light.
- In 1946 the Fresnel lens was removed and is under the possession of the Cape May County
- Historical Museum. A rotating 36-inch aero beacon replaced the Fresnel lens. This produced 350,000 candle-power and had a flash of once every fifteen seconds.
- In 1964 the grounds were turned over to the State of New Jersey which created the Cape May Point State Park.
Jul 21, 2017