Cape Vincent

Year Established:
1901
Existing:
Yes
Source:
LL-1903
File Type:
jpg (image/jpeg)
Photo Date:
2014
Photo Credit:
Ralph Eshelman
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society
Collection / Donor:

LOCATION

Latitude:
44 07.54'
Longitude:
76 20.14'
U.S. State:
New York
Country:
United States

OWNER & ACCESS

Open to Public:
No

STRUCTURE

Year Discontinued:
1951
Disposition:
moved to park display
Year Tower Established:
1901
Tower Construction Material:
Wood Frame
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
26 feet above water
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
23 feet
Tower Shape:
Square
Tower Daymark:
White
Fog Signal Building?:
No
Keeper's Quarters?:
No

OPTICS

Active Aid to Navigation?:
No
Original Optic Type:
Lens Lantern
Year Original Lens Installed:
1901
Private Aid:
No
USCG Access to Optics:
No

Comments:

Historical Information:

  • 1901: Two fixed red lights were placed on the completed portion of the breakwater being built in the Saint Lawrence River. It was to protect vessels traveling through the harbor at Cape Vincent. The temporary beacons were lens lanterns placed on a mast that protruded from a small house.┬áThe light keeper at this time lived in a dwelling he rented in town. He reached the light by a small boat, which was stored in a rented boathouse. The Lighthouse Board requested that a dwelling and boathouse be built on conveniently located land. A $5,000 appropriation was requested to procure a proper site and construct the buildings.
  • 1902: The temporary breakwater lights were replaced by squat white towers, and were topped by octagonal lantern rooms. A Fifth-order Fresnel lens was installed in the tower.
  • 1907: The eastern beacon was moved 500 feet toward the eastern end of the breakwater. A lifeline was installed on the eastern end of the breakwater to be used by the keeper in case of a storm. It was made of 7/8 inch cable and supported by two-inch wrought-iron pipe posts spaced ten feet apart.
  • 1951: The sole surviving light was discontinued and was removed from the breakwater and relocated to its current location as an attraction.

Entered by:
tomtag
Entered Date:
Oct 06, 2018