Mike and Carol McKinney
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
MIDDLE OF GREEN BAY/LAKE MICHIGAN
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
OCTAGONAL W/OUT LANTERN
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
FRONT GABLE (ATTACHED)
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
30 FT TOWER ERECTED ATOP TOWER
Original Optic Type:
FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1866: Congress approved funds for a light on Chambers Island.
- 1867: The government purchased 40 acres of land and a lighthouse with keeper’s quarters was built.
- 1868: The light was first lit.
- 1899: A new rotating fourth order Fresnel lens was installed. Prior to that it had been a fourth order Fresnel with a fixed-flashing signal.
- 1910: Electric light bulbs powered by a generator were installed.
- 1926: This was switched to an acetylene system. Later still solar power was used to power the light.
- 1951: A skeletal tower was erected and the lantern and lens were removed.
- 1961: The light was moved to a taller skeletal tower increasing its range to 12 miles. The location of the lens is unknown.
- 1960s: The station had been heavily vandalized in the 1960s after it was abandoned. Local interest was raised and the site was restored.
- 1976: The station was transferred to the town of Gibralter.
- 1977: The site became a park.
Jul 21, 2017