b_781_Christiana_DE_1897_US.jpg (3.51 MB)
US Lighthouse Establishment
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society
Collection / Donor:
Delaware River Near Christiana River.
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Town Down 1939; Site Now Part of Wilmington Landfill
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
48 feet above water
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
OCTOGONAL ON ROOF OF DWELLING
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Original Optic Type:
Reflectors later FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1834: Authorized by act of Congress, June 30, 1834, $6,000.
- 1838: Christiana light-house light on keeper's dwelling; burns ten lamps with spherical reflectors.
- 1844: Height of the lantern above the surface of the river, forty-seven feet; diameter of the lantern, six feet; height from the deck, six feet; form, octagon, with fifteen panes of glass on each side. It contains ten gas burners and ten reflectors of fifteen inches in diameter, and ten feet of half-inch iron pipe, for the arms of the burners. Diameter of the gasometer, ten feet; depth of the gasometer, ten feet.
- 1855: At Christiana, new iron lantern for fourth-order apparatus.
- 1908: Discontinued light: Christiana light, Delaware, upon the establishment of the Bellevue range lights, Delaware.
- 1939: Christiana Lighthouse was demolished after having served as a dwelling for keepers of Bellevue Range for several years.
Jan 15, 2018