Copper Harbor MI 2000 JCC.jpg (5.05 MB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
HAY'S POINT/KEWEENAW PENINSULA/LAKE SUPERIOR
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
65 FT ABOVE WATER
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
ATTACHED TO TOWER
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
DETACHED 1849 DWELLING WHICH SERVED AS STORAGE AND OIL HOUSE
Original Optic Type:
FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1847: Congress appropriated $5,000 for a lighthouse at this site.
- 1849: 1st lighthouse built.
- 1856: 4th order Fresnel lens installed.
- 1866: Current tower built.
- 1883: The lighthouse was discontinued due to waning harbor traffic.
- 1888: The lighthouse was re-established. The original lens had been relocated to another lighthouse, so a new 4th order lens was installed.
- 1927: The light was removed from the lighthouse and put on a steel tower.
- 1937: Light electrified and 300 mm lens installed.
Jul 20, 2017