DEVILS ISLAND

Year Established:
1891
Existing:
Yes
Source:
LL-1901
File Type:
jpg (image/jpeg)
Photo Credit:
Old Postcard
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:

LOCATION

Location:
APOSTLE ISLANDS/LAKE SUPERIOR
Latitude:
47° 04'48"
Longitude:
90° 43'12"
City / Town:
BAYFIELD
U.S. State:
Wisconsin
Location County:
ASHLAND
Country:
United States

OWNER & ACCESS

Open to Public:
Yes
Light List Data:
  1. DEVILS ISLAND
Light list data courtesy Gary Riemenschneider

STRUCTURE

Year Tower Established:
1898
Tower Construction Material:
CAST IRON
Tower Foundation:
CONCRETE
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
87 FT ABOVE WATER
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
60 FT
Tower Shape:
CYLINDRICAL
Fog Signal Building?:
Yes
Year Fog Signal Building Constructed:
1891
Fog Signal Bldg Construction Materials:
WOOD FRAME
Keeper's Quarters?:
Yes
Year Keeper's Quarters:
1891
Keeper's Quarters Style:
QUEEN ANNE
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
BRICK/FRAME
Other Structures:
2ND QUEEN ANNE-STYLE KEEPERS QUARTERS (1896), 2 OIL HOUSES, BROWNSTONE TRAMWAY ENGINE BUILDING, TRAMWAY & TRAM CAR, DOCK, WOODEN BOATHOUSE (1 MILE AWAY), RADIOBEACON

OPTICS

Active Aid to Navigation?:
Yes
Current Optic:
THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL
Original Optic Type:
THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
1901
Private Aid:
No
Year Automated:
1978
USCG Access to Optics:
No

Comments:

HISTORICAL INFORMATION:

  • 1888: Congress approved a request from mariners to build a light at this location. The light was built and first lit in 1891 and housed a fourth order Fresnel lens.
  • 1893: More funds were approved to build a better tower than the temporary wood tower built in 1891.This time a 71 foot cast-iron cylindrical tower was built. The tower was completed in 1898 but it was three years before the third-order Fresnel lens arrived.
  • 1917: The tower was stabilized by placing bracing rods around the outside of the tower.
  • 1978: The lighthouse was automated.
  • 1989: The Fresnel lens was removed and replaced with a modern beacon. The state wanted the lens returned and sued the government.
  • 1922: They won the case and the lens was returned to the tower. 

Entered by:
t.wheeler
Entered Date:
Jul 21, 2017