EAGLE BLUFF

Year Established:
1868
Existing:
Yes
Download:
File Type:
jpg (image/jpeg)
Photo Credit:
Sandy Karnes
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:

LOCATION

Location:
EAST CHANNEL INTO GREEN BAY
Latitude:
45° 10.1'
Longitude:
87° 14.2'
City / Town:
EPHRIAM
U.S. State:
Wisconsin
Location County:
DOOR
Country:
United States

OWNER & ACCESS

Open to Public:
Yes
Light List Data:
  1. EAGLE BLUFF
Light list data courtesy Gary Riemenschneider

STRUCTURE

Year Tower Established:
1868
Tower Construction Material:
BRICK
Tower Foundation:
CONCRETE
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
75
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
43
Tower Shape:
SQUARE
Fog Signal Building?:
No
Keeper's Quarters?:
Yes
Year Keeper's Quarters:
1868
Keeper's Quarters Style:
INTEGRAL
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
YELLOW BRICK
Other Structures:
YELLOW BRICK OIL HOUSE, YELLOW BRICK PRIVY

OPTICS

Active Aid to Navigation?:
Yes
Current Optic:
300 MM, SOLAR POWERED
Original Optic Type:
THIRD & ONE HALF ORDER
Year Original Lens Installed:
1868
Private Aid:
No
Year Automated:
1926
USCG Access to Optics:
Yes

Comments:

HISTORICAL INFORMATION:

  • 1866: Congress approved and funded the placement of a lighthouse at Eagle bluff to mark the shipping channel between Door Peninsula and Strawberry Island.
  • 1868: The light was built. It was square brick tower with the lantern built on top. It housed a 3-1⁄2 Order Fresnel lens.
  • 1897: An oil house was added to the station.
  • 1918: The 3 1⁄2 Order Fresnel was replaced by a fifth order.
  • 1926: The light was automated.
  • 1936: The dwelling was leased to the state park.
  • 1960: The Door County Historical Society worked on restoration of the station and opened it to the public a few years later.
  • 1983: The station switched to solar power and the characteristic and range were changed. The light could only be seen for 10 miles.

Entered by:
t.wheeler
Entered Date:
Jul 21, 2017