OWNER & ACCESS
Light List Data:
After automation in 1959, the Coast Guard put all the buildings, except the tower itself, up for auction under the condition that the buyer would remove the buildings from the light station property. Nobody was willing to try this virtually impossible feat, so in 1963 the Coast Guard decided to raze all the buildings except the lighthouse and bell tower. In February 1964, a Coast Guard crew out of Rockland demolished the buildings, leaving the old lighthouse tower standing alone except for the bell tower and traces of the old foundations. Under the Maine Lights Program, ownership of the lighthouse was transferred in 1998 to a nonprofit group, the Eagle Light Caretakers.
(New England Lighthouses: A Virtual Guide at www.newenglandlighthouses.net)