Eatons Neck NY 2009 George Doerner_0.jpg (1.26 MB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society
Collection / Donor:
EAST SIDE OF HUNTINGTON BAY ENTRANCE
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
FIELDSTONE W/BRICK LINING
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
144 feet above water
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL
Original Optic Type:
12 LAMPS, 13" REFLECTORS
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1798: $13,250 was appropriated for the lighthouse to be built.
- 1799: The light was first lit.
- 1837: An inspection found the light to be defective. The light was not visible at 10 miles.
- 1838: Twelve lamps with 13-inch reflectors were installed to improve the visibility of the light.
- 1858: A new lantern and a third order Fresnel lens were installed.
- 1867: Congress approved funds needed to renovate the lighthouse.
- 1868: Renovations completed included the replacing the old wooden stairs with iron stairs with landings, the interior walls were lined with brick, the keeper's quarters were expanded and the steam fog signal was installed.
- 1880: The keeper's quarters were renovated.
- 1907: The oil lamp was replaced with an oil vapor lamp.
- 1921: The light was electrified.
- 1961: The light was automated.
Jul 21, 2017