Mike and Carol McKinney
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society
Collection / Donor:
WEST SIDE OF HUDSON RIVER
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
52 feet above water
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
OCTAGONAL ON SQUARE HOUSE
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
Original Optic Type:
FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1838: For $1.00 the land needed for the lighthouse was ceded to the US government by the town of Esopus. The government appropriated $6,000 to build the light.
- 1839: The light was first lit. This lighthouse was a twin to the Roundout II lighthouse further north up the Hudson River.
- 1867: The lighthouse was described to be in poor condition due to damage from floods and ice.
- 1870: Money for a new lighthouse was appropriated.
- 1871: The new lighthouse was completed. It was the only Hudson River lighthouse with a wooden frame and a clapboard exterior.
- 1872: The new lighthouse was first lighted.
- 1965: The lighthouse was discontinued.
- 1979: The lighthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- 1990: The Save Esopus Lighthouse Commission was created to restore and preserve the lighthouse. The Coast Guard leased the lighthouse to the group.
- 2002: Restoration and preservation work on the lighthouse still continues.
Jul 21, 2017