Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society
Collection / Donor:
WEST END LONG ISLAND SOUND
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
GRANITE W/BRICK LINING
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
55 feet above water
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
CONCRETE DOCK; CONCRETE OIL HOUSE (CA. 1910) AND RADIO BEACON DESTROYED IN 1992 STORM
APRB-251, SOLAR POWERED
Original Optic Type:
FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1847: Congress appropriated $25,000 for the light to be built.
- 1849: Construction was completed.
- 1850: The lighthouse was first lit.
- 1856: A fourth order Fresnel lens was installed.
- 1868: The keeper's quarters were added. The keeper no longer had to live in the cramped space inside the tower.
- 1918: A fire with an unknown origin caused $13,500 in damages. The engine house and machinery were destroyed, the tower and oil house were damaged and the windows, woodwork, gutters and eaves were also damaged.
- 1979: The lighthouse was automated. A VEGA lantern replaced the Fresnel lens.
Jul 21, 2017