FIRE ISLAND

Year Established:
1827
Existing:
Yes
Source:
LL-1908
File Type:
jpg (image/jpeg)
Photo Date:
1988
Photo Credit:
Mike McLaughlin
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society
Collection / Donor:

LOCATION

Location:
FIRE ISLAND INLET/LONG ISLAND
Latitude:
40° 37.9'
Longitude:
73° 13.1'
City / Town:
WEST ISLIP
U.S. State:
New York
Location County:
SUFFOLK
Country:
United States

OWNER & ACCESS

Open to Public:
Yes
Light List Data:
  1. FIRE ISLAND
Light list data courtesy Gary Riemenschneider

STRUCTURE

Year Discontinued:
1974
Disposition:
Restored
Year Tower Established:
1858
Tower Construction Material:
BRICK ENCASED IN CEMENT
Tower Foundation:
GRANITE/TIMBER
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
167
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
152
Tower Shape:
CONICAL
Tower Daymark:
Black and White
Fog Signal Building?:
No
Keeper's Quarters?:
Yes
Year Keeper's Quarters:
1859
Keeper's Quarters Style:
DUTCH COLONIAL
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
DRESSED STONE
Other Structures:
BOATHOUSE, REMAINS OF TRAM RAILS

OPTICS

Active Aid to Navigation?:
Yes
Current Optic:
DCB-224
Original Optic Type:
Reflectors later FIRST ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
1858
Private Aid:
Yes
USCG Access to Optics:
Yes

Comments:

Historical Information:

  • 1826: The first Fire Island Lighthouse was was built and had a 74 foot tall stone tower.
  • 1858: A new 168 foot tower was lit on November 1. The tower was constructed from brick which was covered in concrete and painted yellow.
  • 1891: The tower received it’s more recognizable black and white day marks.
  • 1939: Electricity arrived at the station.
  • 1974: The Fire Island Light Station was deactivated. The beacon was moved to the top of a nearby water tower.
  • Left to the elements the lighthouse soon fell to disrepair and was scheduled for demolition. The Fire Island Lighthouse Preservation Society was formed to save the lighthouse. The United States Coast Guard transferred the land and building to the National Park Service who, in turn, leased it to the preservation society.
  • 1984: The structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
  • 1986: It was reactivated as an active aid to navigation.
  • 2006: The group took over ownership and maintenance of the lighthouse. It still listed on charts as a private aid to navigation. The Fresnel lens is on display in the Visitor’s Center. The lighthouse is open to the public.

Entered by:
t.wheeler
Entered Date:
Jul 21, 2017