OWNER & ACCESS
Light List Data:
Erected and lit in 1882, the Fort Point Lighthouse was a long-awaited addition to the northeastern end of the Galveston Island coast. Since the 1850s, private interests had been establishing beacons of varying sorts on Galveston pierheads. In 1880, the Light-House Board was able to acquire for $1 a 10-acre plot two miles to the south of the Bolivar Point Lighthouse. The lighthouse raised at this site in 1882 held a fourth order lens with three red sectors to show the location of the jetty, wharves, and turning buoy. The light was lit continually until 1898, when it was extinguished in accordance with a prohibition on nighttime navigation of the Spanish-American War. The light was permanently discontinued in 1909, though the station remained in use as a fog signal until 1950. The station was demolished in 1954.