OWNER & ACCESS
Light List Data:
1896: Cconstruction began on the light station. The structure mirrored the Big Bay Lighthouse which was concurrently being built on Lake Superior. The dwelling was a two story duplex with a tower built into the lake facing wall. Skylights were built into each “apartment” of the duplex so the keeper and the assistant could monitor the light without having to climb the tower.
1897: The station was completed as winter was setting in so it wasn’t operational until May.
1969: The station was automated.
1998: Presque Isle County was deeded the property. While the light still remains an active aid to navigation, the grounds have been opened to the public as a park. One of the apartments in the duplex is a museum and the tower is open for climbing as well.