OWNER & ACCESS
Light List Data:
1852: The original lighthouse at Grand Traverse Point was built at a cost of $4000. The tower was constructed from rubble stone and a keeper’s dwelling was nearby.
1858: The tower was in danger of falling into the water. It and the keeper’s quarters were demolished to make way for a more suitable light station. The new light station was built on higher ground. A square tower was mounted on the roof of the keeper’s dwelling. The nine sided lantern room was fixed with a fifth order Fresnel lens.
1899: A fog signal building was added to the station. With the addition of the fog signal a keeper’s assistant was needed at the station. The dwelling was enlarged to a duplex.
1972: The light station was replaced by an automated light on a skeletal tower.
1985: The Grand Traverse Lighthouse Foundation began restoring the lighthouse.
1987: It was opened to the public as a museum and the grounds are on Leelanau State Park. The light is sometimes referred to as “Cat’s Head Point light” or the “Northpoint light”.