Mike and Carol McKinney
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
N. SIDE BREAKWATER ENTRANCE/LAKE HURON
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
CAST IRON W/BRICK LINING
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Fog Signal Bldg Construction Materials:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
INTEGRAL TO TOWER
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
Original Optic Type:
FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
USCG Access to Optics:
Jul 20, 2017
This location was originally called Sand Beach.
1858: First lighthouse built on this site.
1885: Current lighthouse built.
1913: The “Big Storm” that hit the Great Lakes undermined the breakwater.
1983: Lighthouse placed on National Register of Historic Places.
1986: The original 4th order Fresnel lens was removed from the lantern and given to the local Harbor Beach Historical Society.
1987: Another storm caused several million dollars in damages to both the lighthouse and the breakwater.
1988: Storm related repairs were completed.