5- Hudson Athens, NY - Mike & Carol McKinney.jpg (280.12 KB)
Mike and Carol McKinney
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society
Collection / Donor:
MIDDLE GROUND FLATS/HUDSON RIVER
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
Original Optic Type:
FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1872: Congress approves $35,000.00 to build the light.
- 1874: Light was put into operation.
- 1949: The light was automated.
- 1982: Hudson-Athens Lighthouse Preservation Society was formed.
- 1984: A 20 year lease between the Lighthouse Preservation Society and the USCG was signed. This was the first lease of its kind.
- 2002: Occasional tours are available to the public through the Lighthouse Preservation Society
Jul 21, 2017