HURON ISLAND

Year Established:
1868
Existing:
Yes
Source:
LL-1901
Download:
File Type:
jpg (image/jpeg)
Photo Date:
2004
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:

LOCATION

Location:
WEST HURON ISLAND/LAKE SUPERIOR
Latitude:
46° 57'47"
Longitude:
87° 59'42"
City / Town:
SKANEE
U.S. State:
Michigan
Location County:
MARQUETTE
Country:
United States

OWNER & ACCESS

Open to Public:
Yes
Light List Data:
  1. HURON ISLAND
Light list data courtesy Gary Riemenschneider

STRUCTURE

Year Tower Established:
1868
Tower Construction Material:
GRANITE/BRICK
Tower Foundation:
SURFACE ROCK
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
197 FT ABOVE WATER
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
34 FT
Tower Shape:
SQUARE
Fog Signal Building?:
Yes
Fog Signal Bldg Construction Materials:
RED BRICK
Keeper's Quarters?:
Yes
Year Keeper's Quarters:
1868
Keeper's Quarters Style:
ATTACHED
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
GRANITE
Other Structures:
OIL HOUSE, BOATHOUSE

OPTICS

Active Aid to Navigation?:
Yes
Current Optic:
ELECTRIC OSCILLATOR LIGHT
Original Optic Type:
THREE-ONE-HALF ORDER FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
1868
Private Aid:
No
Year Automated:
1972
USCG Access to Optics:
No

Comments:

Historical Information:

  • The Huron Islands are a group of seven small islands located in the shipping channel below the Keweenaw Peninsula in Lake Superior. The lighthouse is located on the western-most island.
  • 1867: Congress appropriated $17,000 for a lighthouse “somewhere” in the Huron Islands. Surveyors later recommended that it be placed on the western- most island.
  • 1868: The first lighthouse was lit on October 20.
  • 1881: Two fog signal buildings were built a half mile away from the lighthouse.
  • 1883: A new boathouse and dock were constructed. A tramway was built from the dock to the fog signal building.
  • 1930s: Compressed air diaphone fog signal installed. Ship to shore radio installed.
  • 1939: Lighthouse electrified by Coast Guard installed diesel powered generators.
  • 1940s: Coast Guard built new keeper’s house to accommodate the five men stationed there.
  • 1961: New barracks built near the fog signal building.
  • 1972: Lighthouse automated.

Entered by:
t.wheeler
Entered Date:
Jul 20, 2017