OWNER & ACCESS
A lighthouse was constructed for $400 on Loon Island in 1893. The builders were the Woodsum Brothers, owners of the steamships that serviced the lake. In 1896 repairs were being made to Loon Island Light when it caught fire. The damage was repaired, but in 1960 lightning caused the lighthouse to completely burn down. It was promptly rebuilt. The still-active, solar-powered lighthouse is maintained by the Lake Sunapee Protection Association.
Information from New England Lighthouses: A Virtual Guide at www.newenglandlighthouses.net