Marblehead OH 2016 TAT_0.jpg (4.41 MB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
SANDUSKY BAY ENTRANCE/LAKE ERIE
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
67.5 FT ABOVE WATER
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
WHITE BARN, OUTHOUSE ON ADJACENT PROPERTY
Original Optic Type:
13 LAMPS & REFLECTORS
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1819: Congress appropriated $5,000 for a lighthouse "at or between the mouth of the Grand River in Ohio, and the mouth of the Ohio River in Ohio". An additional $5,000 was appropriated by Congress the following year to cover added expenses.
- 1821: Lighthouse established in 1821. Oldest light in the state of Ohio, second oldest in Lake Erie, and the third oldest on the Great Lakes.
- 1821: Stephen Pleasonton, Auditor of the U.S. Treasury, visited Rocky Point and selected the site. He negotiated the sale of the land, almost four acres total, for $300 from the estate of Epaphras W. Bull. A contract for the construction of the light and a keeper's dwelling was entered into with Stephen Woolverton. Woolverton subcontracted the actual construction to William Kelly. The cost was $6,520. The original lighting apparatus was 13 Argand whale oil lamps with 16-inch reflectors. It was originally called the Sandusky Bay Light until 1870.
- 1858: The lighting apparatus was changed to a Fourth Order Fresnel lens.
- 1897: Tower was increased in height by 15-feet.
- 1923: Light was electrified.
- 1939: The light was a "sub-unit" of the nearby Marblehead Lifeboat Station and was manned by personnel attached to that unit.
- 1958: The light was automated.
- 1972: The Fresnel lens was removed in 1972 and replaced with a 300 mm green flashing light.
- Currently an active aid to navigation but the property and lighthouse are now owned by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.
- The Keeper's House serves as the Marblehead Lighthouse Historical Society Museum.
Jul 21, 2017