Mike and Carol McKinney
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
BETWEEN THUNDER BAY ISLAND/PRESQUE ISLE/LAKE HURON
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
BRICK AND STUCCO
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
CONICAL ATTACHED TO SERVICE ROOM
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Fog Signal Building Constructed:
Fog Signal Bldg Construction Materials:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
OIL HOUSE, 2 BRICK PRIVIES, WOODEN WOODSHED/GARAGE (1905), RUINS OF LIFESAVING STATION (1881)
Original Optic Type:
FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1896: Lighthouse Board first recommended a lighthouse for this location.
- 1902: Congress finally approves the request.
- 1904: $25,000 appropriated for the construction of the lighthouse.
- 1905: Lit for the first time.
- 1906: Oil building built.
- Circa 1928: 4th order Fresnel lens replaced with a third order lens.
- 1939: Daymark changed to white tower with horizontal black band.
- 1961: Light automated.
- 1992: Middle Island Lightkeepers Association formed.
- 2001: Light station operated as bed and breakfast inn.
Jul 20, 2017