Old Mission Point TAT 2012.jpeg (233.28 KB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
OLD MISSION PENINSULA IN GRAND TRAVERSE BAY
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
48 FT ABOVE WATER
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
SQUARE TOWER ON DWELLING
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
INTEGRAL TO TOWER
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
BRICK PUMP HOUSE, BRICK STORAGE SHED, LOG HOME (1856), WOOD FRAME GARAGE
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
Located exactly on the 45th parallel.
- 1870: Light exhibited for the first time.
- 1889: Timber revetment built in front of lighthouse to stave off erosion of the sandy bank. Brick cistern constructed in cellar.
- 1899: Oil storage building built.
- 1901: Walkways and fences constructed.
- 1933: Light Station discontinued.
- 1940s: Ownership transferred to the state of Michigan.
- 1948: Ownership transferred to Peninsula Township.
Jul 20, 2017