OUTER ISLAND

Year Established:
1874
Existing:
Yes
Source:
LL-1901
Download:
File Type:
jpg (image/jpeg)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:

LOCATION

Location:
APOSTLE ISLANDS/LAKE SUPERIOR
Latitude:
47° 04'36"
Longitude:
90° 25'02"
City / Town:
BAYFIELD
U.S. State:
Wisconsin
Location County:
ASHLAND
Country:
United States

OWNER & ACCESS

Open to Public:
Yes
Light List Data:
  1. OUTER ISLAND
Light list data courtesy Gary Riemenschneider

STRUCTURE

Year Tower Established:
1874
Tower Construction Material:
BRICK W/ITALIANATE BRACKETING
Tower Foundation:
STONE
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
130 FT ABOVE WATER
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
78 FT
Tower Shape:
CONICAL
Fog Signal Building?:
Yes
Year Fog Signal Building Constructed:
1875
Fog Signal Bldg Construction Materials:
WOOD FRAME
Keeper's Quarters?:
Yes
Year Keeper's Quarters:
1874
Keeper's Quarters Style:
ATTACHED
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
RED BRICK
Other Structures:
OIL HOUSE, DOCK, BRICK OUTHOUSE; ORIG. BOATHOUSE & TRAMWAY

OPTICS

Active Aid to Navigation?:
Yes
Current Optic:
190 MM, SOLAR POWERED
Original Optic Type:
THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
1874
Private Aid:
No
Year Automated:
1961
USCG Access to Optics:
No

Comments:

HISTORICAL INFORMATION:

  • 1871: Money was appropriated for a light at the most northeastern point of the Apostle Islands.
  • 1874: A light was placed on Outer Island to (among other things) mark the turning point for vessels traveling to Ashland. It also marked the shoals of the Outer Island.
  • 1875: The fog building was moved to avoid further damage from the ice storms.
  • 1878: A second fog building was installed as a back up to the already existing fog building.
  • 1884: A tramway was built so supplies could be more easily transported to the fog building.
  • 1887: A hoisting mechanism powered by steam was added.
  • 1900: The two fog buildings were combined and the equipment was refurbished.
  • 1961: The light was automated and the Fresnel lens was removed.
  • 1970: The light was added to the Apostle Island National Lake Shore Park.
  • 1975: The light was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
  • 1987: Money was appropriated to slow erosion that threatened the light. Work was postponed.
  • 2006: Steps were taken to stem the erosion of the island as a vegetation crib was installed.

Entered by:
t.wheeler
Entered Date:
Jul 21, 2017