Point Aux Barques MI 2009 Chad Kaiser (5).jpeg (236.92 KB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
POINTE AUX BARQUES REEF/LAKE HURON
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
89 FT ABOVE WATER
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
ATTACHED TO TOWER
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
RED IRON OIL HOUSE, CARRIAGE HOUSE, RED BRICK ASST. KEEPERS DWELLING (1908)
Original Optic Type:
THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1847: Construction began on the Pointe Aux Barques light station.
- 1848: The tower was lit. There is no definitive record of the original tower or keeper’s dwelling. It is thought the station would have been similar to others lighting the Great Lakes at the time, perhaps a short tower with a small keeper’s quarters made of stone from the nearby shoreline.
- 1857: The station had to be rebuilt as the existing tower was no longer felt to be an effective aid to navigation. The new tower stood 89 feet tall and is one of the tallest in the Great Lakes. A two story keeper’s dwelling was attached via a covered passageway. A 3rd order Fresnel lens was fitted and visible 16 miles at sea.
- 1908: An assistant keeper’s dwelling was built at the site. An upgraded incandescent lamp replaced the third order lens and was visible 18 miles at sea.
- 1958: The light was automated and the grounds were sold to Huron County. The county opened the grounds as a park and two museums are housed in the keeper’s quarters, The Keepers of the Light and The Thumb Underwater Preserve.
- The light remains an active aid to navigation.
Jul 20, 2017