Portage RiverJacobsville MI 2009 TAT.jpg (5.42 MB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
PORTAGE RIVER ENTRANCE/LAKE SUPERIOR
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
68 FT ABOVE WATER
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
Original Optic Type:
FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1855: Construction began on a 39 foot stone tower and one and a half story keeper’s quarters. The tower housed a fifth order Fresnel lens. The buildings were complete but failed inspection because they were not built according to the contract.
- 1856: Despite the fact the station had not been approved, the light was lit.
- 1868: Major repairs were needed to the light station. It was deemed easier to rebuild the entire light station than to fix the problems with the existing one. A temporary structure was built to house the light while construction was taking place.
- 1870: A new tower was built along with a keeper’s dwelling. The dwelling was a one and a half story house that attached to the tower by a covered walkway. The fifth order lens was removed from the temporary structure and placed in the new tower.
- 1919: Construction began on Keweenaw Waterway light, a mile west of the Portage River light.
- 1920: Portage River light was decommissioned. The light was transferred to the state of Michigan only to transfer back to the Coast Guard. It was eventually sold to private owners. It is not an aid to navigation and is currently used as a bed and breakfast inn.
Jul 20, 2017