OWNER & ACCESS
Light List Data:
The original (1771) lighthouse at Fort Point in New Castle, NH, was the first lighthouse north of Boston in the American colonies. The second lighthouse (1804), an 80-foot octagonal wooden tower, was built about 300 feet east of the original location. The present lighthouse was erected in 1878 on the same foundation as its predecessor. Its care was licensed to the American Lighthouse Foundation (ALF) in 2000. A chapter of ALF, the Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouses, manages the lighthouse and opens it for regularly scheduled seasonal open houses.
Information from New England Lighthouses: A Virtual Guide website at www.newenglandlighthouses.net, author Jeremy D'Entremont