Pottawatomie WI Dave Barth 1993.jpg (6.73 MB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
GREEN BAY ENTRANCE/LAKE MICHIGAN
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
BRICK OIL HOUSE, LIMESTONE RUBBLE PRIVY, PARGED STONE CISTERN UNDER FRAME ADDITION, MODERN REPLACEMENT STAIRWAY TO BASE OF CLIFF
Original Optic Type:
FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1834: Money was allocated to build a light on this island to mark the Rock Island Passage which ran from Green Bay to Detroit.
- 1837: The light was first lit.
- 1858: The tower and keepers house were condemned and a new light tower and keeper’s house were built.
- 1964: The island became part of the State Park system.
- 1966: The light was automated.
- 1975: The light was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
- 1986: Solar panels were installed to provide power.
- 1988: The light was removed from the 1858 house and placed on a steel skeletal tower.
- 1994: The Friends of Rock Island group was formed to help restore the historic structures on the Island.
Jul 21, 2017