Non-Existing (More Info.):
Replaced with Minor ATON
Racine Reef WI from old Postcard.jpg (10.01 MB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
Original Optic Type:
4th order Fresnel
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1899: Racine Reef Light was built to warn of the Racine Reef when it was found the Wind Point light did not fully serve this purpose. Too many ships continued to sink here. This first was an unmanned light that was serviced by the Racine Harbor Keeper.
- 1903: This light proved inadequate so congress approved money for a better lighthouse.
- 1906: This new light was first lit and contained a fourth order Fresnel lens. The old light was moved to the outer breakwater in Chicago.
- 1954: The light was automated.
- 1961: The light was deemed obsolete and demolished and a skeletal tower was erected on the concrete pier.
- The lens was moved to the Racine County Historical Museum.
Sep 16, 2017