Raspberry Island WI TAT 2009.jpg (5.27 MB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
APOSTLE ISLANDS/LAKE SUPERIOR
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Now a Museum site
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
77 FT ABOVE WATER
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Fog Signal Building Constructed:
Fog Signal Bldg Construction Materials:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
2 STORAGE BUILDINGS, FRAME BARN (SERVES AS RANGER RESIDENCE), BRICK OIL HOUSE, BOATHOUSE, 2 OUTHOUSES, DOCK, TRAMWAY
Original Optic Type:
FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1859: Congress appropriated money for this light. Construction was completed in 1863 and the light was first lit.
- 1869: A dock and stairs were installed up the cliff to the light.
- 1902: A steam fog signal was installed along with a tramway to make off-loading supplies easier.
- 1928: A diesel engine was installed to operate electric generators.
- 1933: The fog signal was upgraded.
- 1947: The light was automated.
- 1952: The fog signal was discontinued and the Fresnel lens was replaced by a battery operated beacon mounted on a pole in front of the lighthouse.
- 1957: The light was deactivated.
- 1975: Raspberry Island Light was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
- 2002: The Park Service installed a seawall and a vegetative crib wall to stem the erosion. The work was completed in 2003.
- 2006: Extensive restoration work on the light station was performed for public tours beginning in 2007.
- The original Fresnel lens is on display at the Wisconsin State Historical Society Museum.
Jul 21, 2017