Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
BLACK RIVER ENTRANCE/LAKE MICHIGAN
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
Original Optic Type:
FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1868: Lighthouse Board requested $6,000 appropriation for a pierhead light and keeper’s house. The appropriation was granted by Congress but then rescinded in 1870 before construction was completed.
- 1871: Funds restored by Congress and construction began.
- 1890: South Haven selected as a trial site for a Welsbach burner gasoline light.
- 1901: Wooden tower moved to the newly constructed end of the pier.
- 1902: A 5th order Fresnel installed and plans begun to replace the wooden tower with a metal one.
- 1903: A pre-fabricated steel tower was delivered to the pierhead and installed.
- 1913: Pierhead lengthened again and light tower moved to the new end.
- 1991: Michigan Maritime Museum began leasing the keeper’s dwelling from the Coast Guard.
- 2000: Lighthouse property deeded to city of South Haven.
Jul 21, 2017