White River 3.jpeg (545.86 KB)
Photo Courtesy of:
US Lighthouse Society Archives
Collection / Donor:
WHITE LAKE CHANNEL/LAKE MICHIGAN
City / Town:
OWNER & ACCESS
Open to Public:
Light List Data:
sold to Fruitland Township
Year Tower Established:
Tower Construction Material:
Height of light above mean high water, in feet:
57 FT ABOVE WATER
Height, in feet, from base of structure to center of lantern:
Fog Signal Building?:
Year Keeper's Quarters:
Keeper's Quarters Style:
ATTACHED TO TOWER
Keeper's Quarters Construction:
OIL HOUSE (CIRCA 1875), GARAGE, WORKSHOP/STORAGE BUILDING
REMOVED TO MUSEUM
Original Optic Type:
FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Year Original Lens Installed:
USCG Access to Optics:
- 1871: Construction began on the South Pier-head Beacon Light lighthouse. The original tower housed a fifth order Fresnel lens and lard oil lamp. It produced a fixed red light that was visible for eleven and a half miles. The tower stood at 27 feet, and set the focal plane of the lens at 33 feet above sea level. The framework was a square pyramid. The lantern room was black metal, while the wooden tower was painted white.
- 1874: $15,000 was appropriated for a new lighthouse, on shore, and the site was surveyed.
- 1876: The new, on shore, light was exhibited for the first time using a 4th order Fresnel lens.
- 1902: The South Pier-head Beacon Light 5th order Fresnel lens was reduced to a sixth order with a Kerosene lamp. This reduced the range of the light to nine miles.
- 1875: The South Pier-head Beacon Light tower was painted red and the construction of the original elevated foot-walk began.
- 1918: The main, on shore, lighthouse received electricity.
- 1960: The main, on shore, lighthouse was deactivated. The Coast Guard turned over the property to the General Services Administration.
- 1965: Fruitland Township proposed to purchase the property so it could be used as a museum and public park.
Jul 21, 2017